With over 1,300 residents, Craig is the largest community on Prince of Wales Island. It is located on the west side of the island. Originally called Fish Egg, Craig was a seasonal fishing camp of Tlingit and Haida Indians.
The town is named for Craig Millar, who established a saltery there in 1906. Craig is the major fishing port for the island and its economy is still tied to fishing and logging. However, tourism is on the rise with a service and retail economy building. Over the last few years, Craig has been the fastest growing first class city in Alaska. Craig is home to the Craig Ranger District.